Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gaillac, France

This small commune in the Tarn Department is a short drive west of Albi. I didn’t stay long but fell in love with the wine. I was at Labastide de Levis, the largest producer in the area, and had a tour of the facilities. It was neat to see how wine is made, the machines and the charming staff, as well as taste some superb varieties. The gentleman who took me around decided that I needed to take a couple of bottles home as a gift (I was on a writing assignment, so free stuff is the norm!). I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to transport it on the flight back home so I decided to accept only one. I went with an award winning red, the 2004 Rouge, which received the Médaille d’Or in 2006. When I got home and opened the bottle with a girlfriend, I was instantly "amoureuse". The best bottle I had ever had in my life. Of course, I can’t find any wine from Gaillac in Vancouver, so I know I’ll have to go back. Hey, it’s as good an excuse as any!

Photo: Labastide de Levis

No comments: