Sunday, August 5, 2007

The City of Avignon

I was captivated with Avignon as soon as I arrived. The walled city has 4 kms of ramparts surrounding the downtown area, including 39 towers and 9 entryways. I stayed at the Hotel Innova for my entire visit, a central accommodation with a great owner. He would sit with me every morning and we’d chat about politics, weather and whatever else came up. It was the best way to practice my French and gain confidence. The first night I was in a room on street level facing a club. Trendy though it was, the partying went late into the morning and I was so tired from the long journey that as soon as I woke up I requested a new room. I ended up seeing a double room with a shower and paid a bit more to secure that one. Definitely well worth it. I met the owner, M. Calan, that first morning, which was a great start to my trip.

Photo: M. Calan of Hotel Innova

No comments: