Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Beginning: Dreaming of Paris

Le Château de Longchamps at Bois de Vincennes, Paris (who would have thought this would exist in Paris?!)


My fascination with France came to me sporadically in the summer of 2001. I had just finished my theatre acting program and was working at Tony Roma’s as a hostess. I was living down by the beach in the west end of Vancouver and, while marvelling at the beauty of this city, began daydreaming of all the other beautiful places in the world. I had been to many cities in the States, throughout Canada, even to China and Korea, but never to Europe. Like a flash of lightening Paris sparkled in my mind and I knew I was hooked. I had no more than my high school French (which I almost failed in grade 12) and didn’t know any more about the city than it hosted the Eiffel Tower, nothing more to differentiate it from any other major European city. But Paris I had chosen and Paris it would be. I saved up for the next few months and booked a flight to spend the next April in Paris. It was a trip that would change my life.

No comments: