Thursday, July 26, 2007

Paris for Beginners

The most amazing thing that Paris did for me on this trip was to open up my world. I had grown up just outside of Vancouver, Canada, and have spent my whole life here. Although I did a lot of travelling all over the world when I was younger, other culture and countries just didn’t hit me with the same poignancy as travelling alone. Not only did I fall in love with the city, I fell in love with the life of a wanderer. I walked through the streets all day, sat in cafés, read on park benches, wrote along the Seine and took pictures hoping to catch the images in my memory forever. It was the first time that I got out of my young brain and OUT into the big world. Paris just happened to be the city I chose and the city that agreed with me the most. After so many years, it’s still one of my favourite places on earth, but back to my earlier experience…
Photo: The Pont de Bir Hakeim, where Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider met in Last Tango in Paris.

No comments: